Wednesday, November 19, 2008

You Say It's Your Birthday....

So, my parents called first thing in the morning yesterday and my Dad said, "Happy Black Tuesday, Chop of Lamb!" ( 'Lambchop' is his nickname for me.. and he's weird that way) I said, " It's not Black Tuesday, its Fabulous Forty Tuesday!" And it was. I was worried that I'd be all depressed and morose about turning 40. I thought I'd sit and ponder all the things I havent done and wanted to do, lament about the 15 pounds I swore I'd lose by my 40th birthday, and just plain concentrate on all the failures I've had in lo these last 4 decades. But yesterday was anything but sad and depressing. It WAS fabulous, and here's why:
1. My sweet husband brought me a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks first thing in the morning. ( Non-fat, but WITH whip, since it WAS my birthday.)
2. He took the day off to spend with me.
3. I got 3 homemade cards from my little homeschool kids, professing thier love for me.
4. My kids gave me huge hugs and kisses upon waking up.
5. Veronica gifted me with a gorgeous scarf, some yummy candles, and a gift card to Michaels... all in a seriously cool retro bowl.
6. Allison dropped off my favorite coffee and some biscotti.. and a hysterical card.
7. Heather stopped in, gave me a touching handwritten card, and some of her favorite lip balm ( which is now MY favorite lip balm, too!)
8. I went to lunch with my husband, the love of my life.
9. ... and I drank a Cosmopolitan at 11:30.

10. I took a short nap.
11. I got to sit in our front room while I listened to the kids argue over who was going to frost my birthday cake, and while Bryan tried to mediate. ( ie... " Dad! Kellie is icing the whole thing! That's not fair!" "Well, YOU stuck your finger in the icing and licked it..." " Jackson! Dont burp on the cake!" " NO!! I'M doing the sprinkles!" " THAT IS ENOUGH SUGAR!!!" " NO... I want it to be the color of my bedroom..." " MOM!!!!! Whitney isn't giving me the knife!!!"

13. The kids tried to put 4o candles on the cake, but only had 24, so I TRIED to blow them all out, and they laughed when I couldnt.
12. I ate cake with my family... it was warm, and yummy, and VERY sugary.

14. My sister called, and my little niece played "Happy Birthday" for me on the piano... specially learned for this special day.
15. My in-laws called to wish me well.
16. I got a TON of birthday wishes from old friends from my highschool and college days.. who I miss.

17. My kids made me homemade cards telling me how much they love me, and containing coupons for 'free back rubs for a week', promises to 'sleep in my own bed for 2 days in a row ( and that is a while for me ) ", 'I'll make your bed for a week.", 'you pick a job for me to do and I'll do it." Priceless cards.... I'll keep them safe somewhere to read when they are adults and I miss my babies.....

At the end of the day... I crawled into a warm bed to a sleeping husband and thought to myself....

"Family, Friends, Health.... cake that's been burped on by an 8 yr old..... all these simple things in my life that have made me so happy today.....

.....yeah.... 40 is fabulous"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Happy belated 40th - glad to see you joining the club looking so marvelous. Best wishes, my SU friend.

Jenn